20 Reasons Why I Chose Epic! Books Reading App
This post may contain affiliate links which means I earn a commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you. .
The 20 reasons why I chose Epic! kids reading app to encourage our kids to read more.
So, a typical afternoon these days entail a gentle but hesitant reminder to get off their kids reading app for long enough to get some chores done. I say hesitant because I really hate interrupting my kids reading. Honestly, whether it’s a paper book or a digital one, I absolutely want to encourage them to keep reading.
But even that wasn’t without it’s challenges for at least one kid in our house so far. My 10 yo is a different story. She could read for hours on end. But even that has presented it’s challenges for us.
About a year ago, my 10 yo started reading a book series called Warriors. It’s about cats. She loves cats. But she was getting frustrated because the library didn’t have a ton of the books. This was the school library. So we tried the public library, and same problem.
They can order books in from different branches, but I think this series has got literally probably a hundred installments. (How does this author have time to write this much??!)
So we started looking on Kindle, and found a lot of the books on there. The problem is that every single book is $3 and up. And my kid reads fast. She started trying to give me her allowance and chore and birthday money to buy more books, but that just didn’t sit right with me. She shouldn’t have to pay out to read more.
So I signed up for Kindle Unlimited. First of all, as an adult, I LOVE Kindle Unlimited. But for kids, it seems to be, well…limited as a kids reading app. They have a bunch of stuff…it just doesn’t include the things she wanted to read.
So after a bit of searching, I found another kids reading app that she LOVES! (And I <3 just as much!)
It’s called Epic! and I really, really love it!
It honestly is like Netflix for kids books!
And not just for her–for ALL the kids!
Here’s why I like to be able to monitor my kids’ activity:
- My kids have a bad habit of getting sucked into a cycle of watching only videos on Youtube kids. On Epic! they can still watch videos, but they’re educational. They’re not an endless barrage of adults playing with and promoting kids toys nonstop. (Is this weird to anybody else??)
- I’ve made a personal committment to reading a lot of the same stuff my kids read to have things to talk about. You can read about how I use reading to spend more quality time with my kids here.
- I can see if they’re actually reading or if they’re playing games on their ipads and just pretending to read.
- Monitoring tells me if my 8 year old that has had problems reading is actually choosing more challenging things or just sitting in stand-still with her options.
- Believe it or not, knowing what they’re reading can help me with gift options, too.
Here are the features that won me over:
- You sign up for an account, for $7.99 a month after a FREE trial. (This amount is not hard to fit into your household budgeting!)
- Up to 4 profiles for ONE price per month
- Parent profile to monitor what each kid has been watching
- 25,000 options (say what??!)
- Educational videos
- Interest choices to personalize book recommendations by the app
- Sign in and manage online or through the mobile app
- Many books have audio options
- HUGE variety (which includes that Warrior series the 10 yo loves so much–score!)
- You can ‘assign’ collections to each kid
- Books can be downloaded to the device so that they can be read even offline
- A ton of books in Spanish and French
- NO ADS or IN-APP Purchases (this one was HUGE for me!)
- There are quizzes on some of the educational reads (to me this helps reinforce comprehension like they get in the classroom)
- STEM options
- For every month you pay, if your teacher is also signed up, they earn $ for their classroom!
- They offer a pre-paid GIFT option!
- Works on iOS, Android, or the web (desktop/laptop)
- Books for ages: baby and UP!
- AND–they participate in Ebates (read here to see why I do nearly all my online shopping through Ebates!)
How about a pair-up of Epic books + a Reading Challenge for your kiddos?
Grab the printable challenge by clicking the image below!
Know someone that could use help with choosing a kids reading app? Please SHARE this post!