This post may contain affiliate links which means I earn a commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you. .
Why Using Mixbook to Make Photo Books for My Family Photo Albums and Family Portraits Is the Best Decision I’ve Made For Preservation, Organization, and Display of family photos.
You know what’s even better than having an amazing family vacation, or a to-die-for wedding, or even the most adorable school play in history? Being able to relive them! I take TONS of photos of our family. And actually, they don’t even have to pertain to any of those special occasions. Some of my favorites are the candid ones showing their true hysterical little personalities. But you know what? You can’t relive those easily if they’re stuck on your camera or your phone. What you need are Photo Books!
I started creating Family Yearbooks in our first year of marriage when I thought scrap-booking was the shiznit. It CAN be a really beautiful and creative way to keep your memories in order, but holy hell who has time for that with kids??!!
Plus most people I know aren’t very creative–I totally couldn’t pull off what I had hoped I would–and would rather have something easy, beautiful, and that will last a lifetime.
More importantly, I didn’t want to lose our family history into the digital black hole. CEO of Professional Photographer Association, David Trust said, “I think time will prove that we have gambled away our family histories – trusting too much in our ability to protect our memories on our phones, tablets and other devices.” Yikes!! I don’t know a super ton about my family history, but it absolutely isn’t because photos are sitting idle somewhere in the cloud! It just feels like being complacent on this is like wasting away a crazy good technological opportunity that no generation has ever had before!
I know there are lots of photo books companies out there these days, and I’ve tried several. But the one I super love the most is Mixbook. It’s simple. Their layouts and themes are absolutely gorgeous. And they won’t break the bank. Plus these photo books have heavy duty paper and brilliant printing that will last a lifetime!
Honestly, when I first starting printing books, I thought they’d collect dust on the shelves.
Boy was I wrong!!
My kids actually LURRRVE looking through these books! In fact, they fight over them sometimes. And since I had confirmation that they’d be well-used, I could totally justify the expense of making a lot, lol!
So what kinds of photo books have we made?
1.Family Albums that I do for every year.
2. I make photo books for the kids’ artwork (I’ll be writing a separate post about organizing kids’ papers and this is part of it. I can’t wait for you to read it, it’s seriously hilarious to add the captions for what the drawing is!) Plus this helps with eliminating paper piles that otherwise just sit and create stressful visual clutter for me.
3. Photo books for their early school years (because there’s so much cute writing and pictures they make in school + all the ‘I love you, Mommy!’ projects the teachers have them make. And the things they write about me and the hubby and our family are hilarious to look back on. Just the phrases they use when they’re little and the way they describe things are so stinkin’ cute! Those are the little things that we tend to forget about these squishy adorable tiny people that I personally love sitting with a cup of tea and musing over in my comfy chair when I have a short minute.
4. Epic vacations or trips (our annual trip to see my side of the fam, or the hubby’s, isn’t normally note-worthy. But we took an unforgettable vacay to the Florida Keys and up into South Florida for our 15th anniversary that was amazing. THAT’s the kind I do photo books for!)
5. Pets. Ok, not to sound too morbid here, but we lost our very first pet in our family a few years ago. I got him when the hubby and I were married only a year. He was a good little pup. And we wanted a way to remember all the quirky, silly, and fur-dorable things about him. So I did a major photo search, plus got some from family friends who had some photos of him as well, and made a sort of ‘lifetime’ photo book for him.
6. Sports seasons (this one is hit or miss, because sometimes my kids aren’t really into the sport that much. But when their friends are all in, and they have a total blast during practices and games plus constantly have meals and sleepovers that revolve around that sport that year–yeah, I totally gather photos and compile them into photo books for my little princess beast and her friends!)
7. Seasonal Bucket Lists. We have so much fun doing these for the different seasons! So these are a must-have for the kids to look back through!
8. Baby books. Duh, this is when they’re still absolutely perfect!
9. Gifts for the grandparents. Honestly, they especially loved the artwork books. I’m telling you: pure humor.
10. Wedding Books. We had an unfortunate thing happen for our wedding. It was in Vegas and the chapel went out of business and basically took our money and only left us with physical photo proofs of our wedding portraits. So I scanned the photos on high DPI scanners and made a wedding album for us and each set of parents. Just thinking about that makes me sick, but thankfully the proofs made it to us before they skipped town.
So Why Choose Mixbook for My Photobooks?
I’ve listed a few already, but I’ll recap for ya!
- Gorgeous themes and layouts.
- Super affordable books, and are CONSTANTLY doing discount promotions.
- Phenomenal quality with heavy paper and brilliant printing.
- Superb customer service.
- 369 (holy cow!) Themes, including ‘Wedding’, ‘Travel’, ‘Family’, and ‘Everyday’.
- Beautiful book covers, including Softcover, Glossy, Matte, and Leather (ooh, fancy!).
- Paper choices like Semi-Gloss, Pearl Finish, and ultra-thick Premium Flat-Lay.
- Size options from super cute mini 6″ x 6″ all the way up to 14″ x 11″. With choices from square books, landscape orientation books, or portrait orientation books.
- MEGA customization, like any type of movement of photos plus editing within the program; edit, add, or remove any text; and add, move, or remove any backgrounds or stickers (and you can even upload your own!)
- AND–they’re an Ebates participant. So you get 5% cash back from your order ON TOP of whatever promotional discounts they have going!! If you haven’t signed up for Ebates, yet, read this post on how to milk Ebates for all it’s worth!
Do you create Photo Books for your family? What kinds do you make? Let me know in the comments below!
Know someone that could use help with creating stunning photo books for their family’s memories? Please SHARE this post!